Steamed Asparagus with Shiitake Mushroom Sauce
This sauce goes well with many spring vegetables. The mix of mushrooms, garlic, and soy sauce complement steamed green vegetables like asparagus and bok choy.
25-30 fresh asparagus spears
1 cup sliced white mushrooms
2/3 cup sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T soy sauce (omit soy sauce if guests avoid legumes during Passover)
2/3 cup water, divided
white pepper to taste
2 teaspoons potato starch
1. Heat saucepan on medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, 1/3 cup water, soy sauce, and dash of white pepper. Cook until mushrooms are soft (about 5-7 minutes).
2. While mushroom mixture cooks, lightly steam asparagus and set aside on a platter.
3. Mix potato starch in remaining 1/3 cup cold water. Stir to dissolve.
4. Add starch mixture to mushrooms and bring to a boil to thicken.
5. Pour over asparagus and serve immediately.
Note: you can prepare the mushroom mixture ahead of time - just don't thicken the mixture. Prepare the mushrooms and set aside. Just before serving, reheat and add the potato starch mixture as directed.